ForeFlight Mobile has released Version 4, the latest version of its popular app for the iPhone and iPad, to help guide pilots on the ground and during flights. The ForeFlight software application has been popular among pilots of small planes since its initial release, and Version 4 promises to offer even more helpful tools for flying such as a new airspaces feature, integrated FAA “green book” A/FD, navigation log, personal waypoints, plates organizer, and more. The technology isn’t perfect yet, but the latest version is a good additional resource to supplement the knowledge and on-plane tools that every pilot is working with.
The Pros of ForeFlight Mobile HD Version 4
Many pilots rave about ForeFlight for the instant access to A/FD, airport intelligence, flight planning, high quality weather and service providers, as well as its customized system for radar, satellite data and visualizing charts that assist in flight or at the airport. It offers a Download Manager that provides the latest data on a 28-day cycle, flight planning tools, and enhanced weather forecast imagery.
Version 4 does provide some striking enhancements, which are particularly helpful in the following areas:
- Able to check airspace, fuel prices, NOTAMS, TFRs, weather, and wind aloft
- Approved source of FAA chart supplements
- Downloads approach plates, diagrams, IFT charts, and VFR charts for the entire U.S.
- GPS moving map
- File flight plan
- Provides accurate airport information
- Weather information on board
- With a Bad Elf external antenna you will have GPS while in flight
- IFR and VFR charts available
- FBO information is available for every airport in country, it will have the contact numbers and the current fuel price.